Smith & Wesson Volcanic Pistols originated in 1854 when Horace Smith and Daniel B. Wesson joined with Courtland Palmer to develop a new lever-action pistol and its associated cartridge. Production was in the shop of Horace Smith in Norwich, Connecticut. Originally using the name "Smith & Wesson Company", the name was changed to "Volcanic Repeating Arms Company" in 1855, with the addition of new investors, one of which was Oliver Winchester. The Volcanic Repeating Arms Company obtained all rights for the Volcanic designs (both rifle and pistol versions were in production by this time) as well as the ammunition, from the Smith and Wesson Company. Winchester forced the insolvency of the Volcanic Arms Company in late 1856, took over ownership and moved the plant to New Haven, Connecticut, where it was reorganized as the New Haven Arms Company in April 1857. By 1866, the company once again reorganized, this time as the Winchester Repeating Arms company, and the name of Winchester became synonymous with lever action rifles. This small-frame Smith & Wesson Volcanic is in very sharp and crisp condition showing the slightest trace of original finish in protected areas. The bolt shows bright fire-blue and the hammer traces of original case colors. The balance of all parts is a very pleasing light brown to gray patina. The front site is worn from obvious carry. Markings, edges and action are fine and the smooth grips retain 85% original varnish with no dings or dents to speak of.